Friday, September 28, 2012

Only Covered? The Difference Between Faith and Unbelief!

     There is language that is often times used that unintentionally allows for unbelief to reign in our lives.  There are many ways of thinking that cause people to live on the brink of faith without actually having any (Hebrews 11:1).  There are two 'sayings' used in the church that need to be completely thrown away.  God wants us to have faith, conviction, that leads to freedom.

 1) "The blood of Jesus 'covers' our sin." 
 2) "God 'sees' us as righteous."

     These statements are used all of the time, and although they carry some truth they do not fully grasp the fullness of what Jesus paid for on the cross.  Jesus didn't only cover up our sin, he separated us from it as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12).  He actually cleansed us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).  I don't know about you, but when I wash something, I literally take away the dirt and the grime.  You can keep spraying cologne on something that is dirty, but it doesn't make it any more clean.  Jesus actually did a good enough job in cleaning you up, He literally took away the dirt/sin itself.  "Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29)."  Not only that he also equipped you not to get dirty again! "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able (1 Cor. 10:13)." "I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin (1 John 2:1)." 

     The second statement is probably the one that most frustrates me.  God 'sees' us as righteous.  Why does God see us that way? Is it because He is blind? Or is Jesus just fooling God by standing in front of us so God can't see us? No of course not, God is not so foolish.  He sees us as righteous because we actually are righteous!  The requirement of the law has been fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).  We have a righteousness that comes by faith not by works (Philippians 3:9).  That means I don't need to become righteous, I just accept the fact that Jesus already made me that way!  That is what faith is! 

    God has established us in a new reality, a new covenant that has nothing to do with our ability to perform.  I do not get righteous, I accept that Jesus made me that way on the cross 2000 yrs ago.  I do not battle sin, I consider myself dead to it (Romans 6:11, Colossians 3:4).  Why do I consider myself dead to sin? Because I actually am dead to sin; "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires (Galatians 5:24)."  "For how can we who died to sin still live in it (Romans 6:2)."

    The problem with using language about our salvation that isn't complete or definitive, is that it still allows for unbelief.  If I believe I am a sinner and naturally inclined to sin, that is exactly what I will manifest.  If I believe I am the righteousness of God and a slave to righteousness I will manifest it.  I cannot be righteous on my own I can only accept that it has already happened.  The reality is that very few people actually believe this; still fighting the message of grace they cling to sinful theology and language to justify their own unbelief.  Yet even they have been made righteous!!  Living a holy life is only a reality when we believe in Jesus, the lack of holy living is directly proportionate to our faith in the Gospel!  Reality is reality whether we believe it or not. Jesus separated our relationship with the law by completely fulfilling it; "It is finished (John 19:30)."  We do not need to strive anymore, but effortlessly sink into the reality of the finished work of the cross. 

   God is stirring up in His church true and radical faith.  Faith where we actually agree with God and allow our minds to be renewed to match His own.  God is revealing the lies that we have believed and giving us the option to accept the truth.  "Know the truth and the truth will set you free (John 8:32)." After all, God wants "All men to come to a knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4)."

"To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.  For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust (1 Peter 1-4)."

No comments:

Post a Comment