Saturday, August 21, 2010

Following after Christ, an option?

If anyone is in Christ he is a new creation the old has gone and the new has come.. 2 Cor. 5:17

For it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.. Galatians 2:20

If anyone would come after me he must deny himself pick up his cross and follow me.. Matt. 16:24

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.. Romans 12:2

The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever... 1 John 2:17

But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! Rev. 3:16

Trust in the lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.. Proverbs 3:5

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.. Galatians 6:17

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his sould? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?  Matthew 16:26

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing.  My brothers, these things ought not to be so.  Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs?  Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water. James 3:10-12

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.  For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 2 Cor. 6:14

Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.  Matt. 12:30

By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.  1 John 3:10

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  Phil. 4:8

These scripture passages, along with many more, have helped me draw one conclusion.  If we believe in Jesus, then we have no choice but to follow in his footsteps wholeheartedly.  He does not only want parts of us, we are not called to compartmentalize our lives, giving some to God and keeping some for ourselves.  There is no room to be lukewarm, we are either hot or cold, "may your yes be yes and your no be no."  When we find new life in Christ there is a radical transformation.  We, as Christians, are not of this world, for the Kingdom is yet to come.  What does that look like, how differently are we supposed to act, and what does tha mean for my well being as a person alive in this world?

This is something I have pondered quite often and for long periods of time.  I have thought about myself and how I wage war against God day in and day out.  I want to do things my way and yet I realize that my way, unless it is parallel to that of God's, is no the best way.  I am continually realizing how selfish, conceited, and sinful I really am.  By facing my own reality, God has allowed me to perceive selfishness in other people as well.  It is some sort of empathy that I gained from knowing my own natural selfishness.  This has brought me to realize, along with scripture, that everyone is naturally self conceited.  Is this a pessimistic view? Sure it is.  Is it true? Sadly.  Every day I bear witness to myself and other people going through life with their own priorities, and it is their own well being that is at the forefront of their minds.  We seek temporary pleasures and insubstantial activities to feel comfortable or at ease.

this has brought me many times to ask, what does it mean to be a Christian; or to claim to be?  For many people, claiming to be a christian is a social status, or a label that changes the way others view them.  They want to be considered righteous, or religious by other people.  this is a very selfish way to use the sacrifice that God gave to us through His son.  For other people claiming religious status is similar to having a security blanket, or insurance policy.  They hope that by stating that they believe in Jesus Christ they will have eternal life, and then can continue living the lives they had lived before they knew of Jesus.


In Luke chapter 19 Jesus tells the parable of the 10 Minas.  To make the story short,  King/Leader gave money to three servants and told them to invest it while he was gone.  He then would see the profit they made on his return.  Two of the three servants did as instructed and came back with more minas then they had from the beginning.  The third, who had only been given one Mina, decided to bury it instead of investing.  He brought it back to his master believe that this one mina was all that mattered.  The owner however was very angry claiming that this servant did not do as asked.  " I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away.  But those enemies of mind who did not want me to be king over them- bring them here and kill them in front of me." (Versus 26 and 27).

The servant hid away his one Mina even though he had direction from his master to invest it to make more.  In the same way are we to treat the knowledge and guidance that God has given us.  If someone only has one Mina, i.e. only belief in Jesus Christ, and has not been given direction on what to do with this belief,  I think they are therefore justified with Christ.  However, if someone believes in Christ and is then instructed to love their neighbor, it is equivalent to the servant being told to invest their money.  they now have two options; they can strive to love their neighbor because they believe that Jesus died for their sins, or they could choose not to love their neighbor.  If the second choice is made, to me it is as if the first option is completely negated and therefore not a viable option.  It is a direct rejection of not only God's world but of God himself.  If we 'believe' in Jesus Christ; and I mean actually believe, and God instructs us in the way to live, the choice has already been made.  "For it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me."  A byproduct of belief, and our choice to accept Christ, comes a response to follow in His footsteps.  this response, which isn't a choice but results from a choice, is the transformational power of God working in our lives. It renews our spirit, and we become dead to this world and alive in Christ.

I was reading a book that my uncle Paul gave me called "Surprised by Faith."  In it the author had a small chart explaining our relationship with Christ.  I believe this runs true in regards to all relationships.  First we have knowledge of God/Jesus.  Once we have this knowledge we then need to make a choice (whether to follow him or not).  Only after this choice is made will we have a response, which the changing of our lives and they way we perceive the world.  If the response is not there it means the choice was never really made, or that we chose something other than God. 
     "By their fruit you will recognize them.  Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?  Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.  A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.  Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.  Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.  Matthew 7:15-20

To some this may seem impossible because we will always be sinful while on this Earth.  However there is an important distinction.  Before we abide in Christ and He abides in us, it is us and sin against God.  Once we believe in Jesus and that we are free from sin it is now God and us against sin.

I read a book by John Hick and in it he states that if one is to claim to be religious, their religion should be at the forefront of their lives, anyone who does less than this, are not religious.  Does the importance we put on religion matter? Should we be thinking of God all the time, thinking of glorifying Him in absolutely everything we do? Should god be the ultimate focus in our families, our friendships, our minds, our attitudes, our speech, and our actions?  According to God the answer is yes.  "And He is the head of the body, the church.  he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent." (Colossians 1:18

Following after God is what life itself is all about and is therefore the most important.  To place things above God is a rejection of Him.  We are called to be different, to be the salt of the earth, the light of the world.  When non-Christians look at us they should be able to see something different. (this difference should not be hypocrisy). To me this all seems very daunting and I know I will still put things, especially myself, before God.  But it is the mind set and our point of focus that matters.  It is the Christian paradox, to strive for perfection knowing full well we will never get there on this Earth.  But we have a wise, loving, and powerful God to help us, and he has given us the holy spirit to guide us and teach us as well as empower us to do what is necessary.  We are not alone.

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against the house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." Matthew 7:24-27

No comments:

Post a Comment